Our Focus, Your Diagnosis
Sagis’ board-certified podiatric pathologists have trained extensively at world-class institutions. As such, we’re always pleased to provide top-notch podiatric services to our partners and patients. And because we utilize the latest advancements in histology, molecular, fluorescent in-situ hybridization, and epidermal nerve fiber density testing, we ensure the most accurate diagnosis possible. We also deliver results quickly through clear and concise reports.
Podiatric Services from Sagis
Our standard podiatric pathology services have a turnaround timeframe of 24-48 hours. However, in cases requiring immunohistochemical or cytogenetic studies, turnaround times may be between 48-72 hours.
Skin & Soft Tissue
We provide comprehensive diagnostic expertise and services relating to the pathology of disorders of the soft tissues, muscle, and bone. Services also include all living tissue except epithelial tissues, hematopoietic (bone-marrow-derived), and parenchymal (functioning tissues of the visceral organs). In addition to a conventional histology evaluation, we routinely have various specialized immunohistochemical, cytogenetic, and molecular genetic tests available. This comprehensive service provides expert diagnostic interpretation, as well as an extensive national and international consultation service.
Our precise and comprehensive reporting provides physicians with detailed information regarding the nature of the fungal infection. For instance, our reports may contain data on:
- Dermatophyte, saprophyte, and yeasts
- The quantity and distribution of subungual and total dystrophic nail plate involvement
- Coinciding and predisposing conditions such as inflammatory dermatoses (Examples include: dyshidrotic eczema, contact dermatitis, and psoriasis)
- Acute trauma or micro-trauma, and
- Onychoschizia – a pathological splitting of the nail plate
We provide rapid turnaround for bone biopsies and bone resection specimens. For this podiatric service, we also offer both traditional histological examination and molecular (bacterial) PCR analysis to identify bacterial species with antibiotic resistance gene reporting.
Intertriginous Wounds / Infections
We offer a signature approach using traditional histology with special stains (PAS/GMS/FM) and molecular PCR analysis for both bacterial and fungal species identification. This approach provides the utmost sensitivity allowing a precise and tailored treatment regimen for the patient.
Nerve Fiber Density Analysis
Our NFD analysis testing consistently offers objective evidence to medical practitioners and their patients. As such, proof of neuropathy can lead to a more accurate diagnosis of the underlying cause. We’ve partnered with a leading laboratory for NFD testing, Corinthian Reference Laboratories. Under the leadership of Dr. Todd Levine, Corinthian is well-recognized for its exceptional diagnostic testing for nerve fiber density analysis.
Specimens and Panels
Accepted Specimen Types:
- Tissue Shaves
- Bone Samples
- Onychomycosis (PAS, GMS, FM, PCR)
- Molecular panels for wound and nail PCR
- Nail unit for trauma, and pigmented streaks or lesions
- Skin & soft tissue for melanoma, verruca, vasculitis, dermatitis, tinea, cysts, abscess, tophus, and lipomas
- Aspirates for gout or cysts, and cytology
- Bone to confirm osteomyelitis